So for the first time in a while I have a rooting interest in March Madness, though my Georgia Bulldogs (seeded 10th in the East) got a scary first round opponent in Michigan State, a team that seems to make it into at least the Sweet Sixteen, and usually beyond that, every year. They play early on Friday, so at least I’ll be into the tourney through the first day-and-a-half.
Here are some non-sporting news/views treats:
* The Mark Sanford of Russia, Vladimir Putin, reappears; still no clear answer on where he was or what he was doing the last ten days.
* Amanda Marcotte discusses the song that will be playing over the title credits if Mike Huckabee’s God, Guns, Grits and Gravy is ever made into a movie: “Pissed Off Rednecks Like Me.”
* Ezra Klein makes the case for an extremely unlikely Al Gore 2016 presidential candidacy.
* Revolutionary claims being made by RCP’s Caitlin HueyBurns for Meerkat, an app that makes it easy to live-stream political events.
* First conservative article I’ve seen arguing Scott Walker’s already “inevitable” as GOP nominee. So don’t Republicans need some new candidates to get in?
And in non-political news:
* 90% of buildings in Port Vila, capital of Venautu, reportedly destroyed by Cyclone Pam.
As we break for lunch, here’s Heart performing “Crazy On You,” on the occasion of their induction into the Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame in 2013.”