Just received an advance copy of Ari Berman’s new book on voting rights battles since 1965, Give Us the Ballot. It’s not due out until August. Can’t wait to read it.
Here are some midday news/views snacks from the chafing dish:
* Jebbie to speak at Liberty’s commencement next month. Take that, Bobby and Huck!
* Senate passes permanent “doc fix” measure 92-8. Cruz and Rubio among the “nays.”
* At the Plum Line, Paul Waldman argues $15-minimum wage campaign could be example of way to pull HRC and other Democrats “to the left” w/o the necessity of a presidential candidate.
* Peggy Noonan confirms my feeling HRC’s launch was perfect by trashing it with the imprecise intemperance of somebody knocking over a bowl of bar nuts.
* Time to read or re-read Daniel Luzer’s 2013 piece on the amount of money Turbo-Tax’s proprietors spend to keep IRS from doing your taxes for free.
And in non-political news:
* New England Patriots’ Aaron Hernandez found guilty of first-degree murder in shooting of fiancee’s sister’s boyfriend.
As we break for lunch, here’s Bessie Smith, who was born on this day in 1894, performing “Young Woman’s Blues.”