I shuddered empathetically when reading about this morning’s suspension of service on three Metro lines running from Northern Virginia (it was all about an equipment malfunction at Foggy Bottom; no one was hurt so far as we know). I used to ride in from Virginia Square or Ballston every day.
Here are some less frustrating midday news/views treats:
* Seymour Hersh convulses Washington with thinly sourced claim U.S. (and Obama) lied about how it discovered and killed Obama bin Laden. More about that later.
* Huckabee says his shilling for phony medical cures so 2014, and besides, nobody’s perfect.
* Hollywood celebrities not exactly being role models on water use.
* Excellent Paul Waldman take on Jeb Bush’s Liberty commencement speech, including Jeb’s outstanding dog whistle accusing progressives of planning their next “great leap forward.”
* Mark Halperin has gotten himself into some real trouble. More about that later, too.
And in non-political news:
* As feared, bad weekend for tornadoes; at least 5 dead in Texas and Arkansas.
As we break for lunch, I was already going to feature this song, but MuddyLee’s endorsement clinched it: here are the Animals with their twist on an old John Lee Hooker song, “I’m Mad Again.” Mick Jagger covered this song briefly in the bizarre 1970 movie Performance.