Stephanopolous Could Have Afforded a Lot More Than $75,000

So I guess Stephgate or Georgegate or whatever they are calling it is still a live story, and a new detail did come out today via Emily Smith at the New York Post’s Page Six that caught even my attention:

ABC has plenty of reasons to be freaking out over the George Stephanopoulos scandal — 105 million, to be exact.

The “Good Morning America” and “This Week” anchor renewed his contract last year for $105 million, TV industry sources told The Post Monday.

The seven-year deal — which dwarfs the five-year, $50 million contract scored by since-suspended NBC rival Brian Williams — was supposed to keep Stephanopoulos in front of ABC’s cameras through 2021.

Who knew reading the news could be so lucrative?

[O]ne TV insider noted Monday that “ABC really has all their money on Stephanopoulos.”

“ABC was desperate to lock him down after Josh Elliott left,” the source said.

“But network execs didn’t announce the figure because they didn’t want George to get the kind of backlash that Matt Lauer got over his huge NBC contract,” which pays him $20 million a year to host the “Today” show.

“If [Stephanopoulos] stumbles, so does the network,” the source added.

This, however, makes the idea that Stephanopolous was trying to curry favor with the Clintons via that $75,000 contribution to their Foundation even more ridiculous than it already was. At his pay scale, a 75 grand donation in honor of the man who made him rich and famous is pretty much an insult.

Ed Kilgore

Ed Kilgore, a Monthly contributing editor, is a columnist for the Daily Intelligencer, New York magazine’s politics blog, and the managing editor for the Democratic Strategist.