Gotta say, I feel pretty good when I discover a blues artist MuddyLee’s never heard of, which happened today.
Here are some news/blues/views midday items:
* David Brooks composes a passive-aggressive classic after reading Ta-Nehisi Coates.
* At the Plum Line, Paul Waldman examines Jeb Bush’s efforts to be down with the Kool Kidz via using Uber.
* At the Atlantic, Beinart, Frum and Goldberg debate the Iran nuclear deal.
* At the Prospect, Adele Stan suggests a Pope who truly loved the poor would become a feminist.
* Kevin Drum mocks but then takes seriously Mike Huckabee’s idiotic claim that if we’d just build a really strong military we could crush all these foreign threats toot sweet.
And in non-political news:
* Metals in kale making a lot of people sick. I’m safe.
As we break for lunch, here’s an example of Peppermint Harris’ approach to “jump blues,” a predecessor to R&B: “Cadillac Funeral.”