You’ve probably heard about the horrendous on-air murder of two local news journalists (a third victim is in the hospital) in southwest Virginia this morning. The apparent shooter, a former colleague, has shot himself after a police chase; his condition is unclear.
Our friends at Breitbart, of course, are calling this a “race murder” because the apparent shooter is black and had supposedly filed an EEOC complaint at the station after losing his job. They really do have no shame.
Here are some less disturbing midday news/views items:
* Ferguson mayor mocks Trump’s claims of “illegal immigrants” roaming the streets causing trouble.
* Speaking of Ferguson, states beginning to crack down on local government law enforcement fine and fees that disproportionately hit poor and minority citizens.
* Cruz tangles with Megyn Kelly over her demands that he answer question about what is to happen to 11 million undocumented; he really doesn’t want to deal with it.
* Ezra Klein argues HRC would do better if Biden ran and media had something to write about other than her “scandals.”
* South Carolina GOP lays down first trap for Trump, requiring vow to support Republican nominee by September 30 filing deadline for primary.
And in non-political news:
* Google maintains rating as “world’s most attractive employer.”
As we break for lunch, here’s another Jimmy Rushing video, with Billy Taylor on piano, performing “Boogie Woogie” in 1958.