Jumping to a second page on a Friday post is probably a mistake. But it’s hard to write a short piece about Henry Kissinger, doncha know.
Here are some midday late-August news/views treats:
* La Pasionaria of the Permafrost goes after ESPN for daring to criticize Curt Schilling’s Islamophobic ravings.
* At TNR, Brian Beutler examines Trump’s latest shocker: supporting higher taxes on the wealthy and not getting destroyed for it!
* Federal Appeals Court rules Supreme Court Plaza not protected First Amendment zone for protesters. But where will networks get their protest shots?
* Well, Politico‘s got both sides of the Biden story covered, now reporting that 8 of 10 of its early-state “Insiders” don’t think he’ll run.
* At the Prospect, Justin Miller looks at the mixed legacy of Martin O’Malley’s famed 2011 gerrymander in Maryland.
And in non-political news:
* Tropical Storm Erika creates death and devastation in Dominica despite sub-hurricane winds.
As we break for lunch, here’s the only other Honeycombs song I can remember hearing on the radio: “I Can’t Stop.”