TUESDAY’S CAMPAIGN ROUND-UP….Today’s installment of campaign-related news items that wouldn’t generate a post of their own, but may be of interest to political observers:
* John McCain appeared on “The Tonight Show” last night, and Jay Leno joked about McCain’s confusion over how many houses he owns. McCain responded by pointing to — you guessed it — his background as a former prisoner of war during Vietnam.
* Quinnipiac shows Obama leading McCain in Ohio by one, 44% to 43%. The same poll showed Obama up by two in July.
* Quinnipiac shows McCain leading Obama in Florida by four, 47% to 43%. The same poll showed Obama up by two in July.
* Quinnipiac shows Obama leading McCain in Pennsylvania by seven, 49% to 42%. This is unchanged from July.
* A Suffolk University poll shows Obama leading McCain in Colorado by five, 44% to 39%.
* A Detroit News poll shows Obama leading McCain in Michigan by two, 43% to 41%.
* A Columbus Dispatch poll shows Obama leading McCain in Ohio by one, 42% to 41%.
* More swiftboating underway, this time from the right-wing Vets for Freedom.
* Just what the political world needed, yet another “3 a.m.” ad.