MONDAY’S MINI-REPORT…. Today’s edition of quick hits:
* The Dow fell nearly 778 points today, or almost 7%. It was the worst single-day point loss in American history. The S&P 500 dropped 8.7% and the Nasdaq fell 9.1%.
* As of today, the Dow Jones is lower now than it was the day Bush took office in 2001.
* This afternoon, responding to the economic crisis, the Obama campaign issued a statement calling for calm, encouraging lawmakers to keep working, and urging investors not to panic. The McCain campaign attacked Obama. It’s a reminder that one can tell a lot about a person’s character by how they respond to adversity.
* No one has any idea what’s going to happen next.
* The climate crisis continues to grow increasingly scary.
* The New York Sun is closing up tomorrow.
* This attack on a mosque in Dayton, Ohio, is the height of insanity.
* Maureen Dowd is apparently no longer welcome aboard the McCain campaign plane.
* Have I mentioned lately how fantastic it is to see that Rachel Maddow’s MSNBC show is off to such an amazing start? Her ratings last week showed her biggest audiences to date.
Anything to add? Consider this an open thread.