MAKE ROOM ON RUSHMORE…. Yesterday, Fred Barnes made the case for George W. Bush’s greatness, creating a list of “great achievements” from the last eight years. That some of these “accomplishments” are actually evidence of failure — torture, power grabs, environmental neglect — apparently doesn’t matter.
Jon Swift, apparently inspired by Barnes’ insightful perspective, thinks there may be something to this.* He has a great new list highlighting the brilliance of Bush’s presidency.
* After Hurricane Katrina President Bush kept our cities safe.
* After the October 2008 stock market correction there have been no Great Depressions.
* After Iraq and Afghanistan took a turn for the worse, President Bush kept us from losing any wars.
* After the District Attorney firing scandal, the outing of Valerie Plame and other scandals, President Bush restored integrity to government.
* After divisive elections President Bush united our country.
* After Abu Ghraib, President Bush reaffirmed America’s adherence to the Geneva Conventions and against torture.
* After 9/11 President Bush kept America safe from terrorist attacks on American soil.
Well, I certainly can’t argue with any of these astute observations.
* For the humor impaired, I should note that Swift is kidding.