FRIDAY’S MINI-REPORT…. Today’s edition of quick hits:
* Five American troops were killed this morning in Mosul as a result of a “massive” suicide truck bombing. It was the deadliest day for U.S. forces in over a year.
* Negotiations with the Somali pirates continue, as Richard Phillips’ effort at an escape proved unsuccessful.
* Limbaugh tries to connect the pirates with ACORN. What a weirdo.
* President Obama sees “glimmers of hope” in the economy, but reiterated his belief that we have a long way to go.
* Robert Mugabe’s cronies are seeking amnesty deals by abducting and torturing opposition leaders.
* The Obama administration’s efforts in invoking the state secrets claim continues to be an ongoing source of deep disappointment.
* Corporate lobbyists are helping orchestrate right-wing “Tea Parties”? Imagine that.
* Marc Morano will be a full-time, professional global warming denier. Nice work if you can get it.
* The way David Schultz, an NPR-affiliate reporter, was treated at a Veterans Affairs Medical Center forum was not acceptable.
* Is Maine Gov. John Baldacci (D) open to marriage equality? Maybe. (thanks to reader A.F. for the tip)
* On a related note, someone really ought to get the opponents of marriage equality some urban dictionaries.
* Why anyone would find Charles Krauthammer even remotely credible is a mystery to me.
* There aren’t that many gay Republicans. The chances of sustaining two rival political organizations for the same constituency seem remote.
Anything to add? Consider this an open thread.