I’m about to head home to Cali this afternoon, and am doing a poor job taking advantage of a last opportunity to consume tasty but unhealthy food (though there is always the Atlanta airport). But here are a few deep-fried news treats:
* San Antonio mayor Julian Castro announced as keynote speaker for Democratic National Convention. Sometimes conventions have two or three “keynote addresses,” but this sounds like the real deal.
* Obama gives 5k to own campaign. Any fundraiser will tell you that donors don’t want to contribute to campaign where the candidate has no financial skin in the game.
* Buddy Roemer figures out way to get media attention: predicting Mitt won’t pick fellow-Louisianan Bobby Jindal.
* A bit of a journalistic museum relic: a story about the “revolt of the moderates” in the GOP.
* Lautenberg and McCarthy introduce bill banning online ammo sales.
And in quasi-non-political news:
* Buzzfeed profiles top five Tampa strip joints expecting big business from those god-fearing Republican convention delegates.
Back after a break to pack for trip home.