A rainy day here on the Central Coast of California, but still beautiful. Here are a few mid-day news bites in another slow day for anything other than symbolic gesturing and spin:
* At The Atlantic, Alexis Madrigal has a fascinating account of Obama 2012’s tech team, and how it ran circles around Mitt’s.
* FDL’s Jon Walker makes case that federally-run health insurance exchanges in recalcitrant Republican-run states better for all concerned.
* Harkin and Sanders formally call for taking Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid off the table in fiscal talks.
* Krugman blasts idea of boosting Medicare eligibility age.
* Democratic Senators join House Dem George Miller in proposing a new national voting minimum-standards law. Crickets from GOPers so far.
And in (maybe) non-political news:
* Another oil platform explosion in the Gulf; two people missing. We are told no oil leakage.
Back after some more holiday travel planning.