Human tragedies aside, extent of damage to crops in the South thanks to the Siberian Express wave of arctic weather something Americans will learn of some time down the road. Sometimes it really does suck to be a farmer.
Here are some more temperate midday news/views treats:
* Good news for Jeb is that he’s got co-founder of oppo research center America Rising PAC as his communications director. Bad news is the dude was national press secretary in 2012 for Jon Huntsman.
* Rudy Giuliani digging himself in deeper with “clarifications” of his attack on the president for allegedly not loving America. Guess he needs the attention.
* Bill O’Reilly would prefer less attention to his characterization of past work in a “war zone” during Falklands conflict; he isn’t handling David Corn’s questions real well.
* Big challenge to my enemy-of-my-enemy openness to odd coalitions: Charles Krauthammer comes out for killing filibuster.
* As a non-TV-viewer, I thought MSNBC had cancelled Ronan Farrow’s show about a year ago. But it actually just happened.
And in non-political news:
* Bizarre “Peachoid” water tower that I’ve passed a hundred times on I-85 near Gaffney, South Carolina, undergoing big and difficult renovation.
As we break for lunch, I’ll switch from the late birthday boy Kurt Cobain to the late birthday boy Randy California. Here’s Spirit with “Animal Zoo.”