Have just decided to go hang with political scientists in San Francisco Saturday (if some logistical issues are ironed out) instead of watching the first big day of college football. That’s how dedicated I am to you, chirrens.
Here some remains of the day:
* New ABC/WaPo poll shows HRC’s approval ratio now underwater, but she’s still more popular with voters than Bush or Trump, and more popular among Democrats than either is among Republicans.
* Trump goes right for the jugular, suggesting that Jeb “speak English while in the United States,” which is exactly what “the base” wants to require for everybody.
* At TNR, Brian Beutler calls for jailing law-defying Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis until she does her job or resigns.
* At Ten Miles Square, Martin Longman argues the GOP built a malevolently ignorant and racially motivated partisan electorate in order to fight Barack Obama, and will have to live with the consequences.
* At College Guide, Jon Marcus notes that the growth of charter public schools has cut into enrollments for private and parochial schools.
And in non-political news:
* Dancing with the Stars celebrity cast gets weirder every season: new one will have Paula Deen and Gary Busey. I think they should dance together.
That’s it for Wednesday. We’ll close with one more Joe Simon hit, a breezy homage to heartbreak from 1969: “The Chokin’ Kind.”