So here’s the plan, debate fans. I’ll suspend blogging early this afternoon so as to grab a nap and then gird my loins for hours of Republican rhetoric. I’ll watch the “JV” debate at 6:00 PM EDT, post a quick reaction to that, and then begin live-blogging at 8:00 PM EDT until the agony ends. I’ve seen one report that the debate is scheduled to last nearly three hours. Please, merciful Lord, don’t let that be true.
Here are some much more succinct midday news/views treats:
* Scott Walker’s restive donors may bail on him if he doesn’t do well in tonight’s debate.
* A good backgrounder on the controversial Franciscan who set up and supervised California’s mission system, Junipero Serra, who will be canonized by Pope Francis next week.
* Gallup word cloud on what Americans have heard recently about HRC is pretty clear: “Emails.”
* At the Plum Line, Paul Waldman hopes some serious discussion occurs at tonight’s debate, but I fear he will be disappointed.
* Look who’s talking now: Glenn Beck calls Trump-supporting Tea Partiers racists.
And in non-political news:
* Bug delays release of new operating system for Apple Watch.
As we break for lunch, here’s Billy Boy Arnold with “Whiskey, Beer and Reefer,” which is not a menu recommendation for watching the GOP debate but a lament about a woman “who’s got to stay high all the time.”