MONDAY’S CAMPAIGN ROUND-UP….Today’s installment of campaign-related news items that wouldn’t generate a post of their own, but may be of interest to political observers:
* A new CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll shows Obama/Biden leading McCain/Palin nationally by one point, 49% to 48%.
* Howard Wolfson has come around on Barack Obama.
* Tom Daschle thinks Sarah Palin is outside the ideological mainstream. He’s right.
* Palin thinks the Founding Fathers recited the Pledge of Allegiance. She’s off by more than 100 years.
* While the McCain campaign claims to be appalled at any political criticism during preparations for Hurricane Gustav, McCain’s surrogates are going on the attack — at events where McCain is present.
* I heartily endorse Ezra’s take: “I just want to note, if only for the record, that in a saner country, the fact that Sarah Palin wants us to teach our children lies rather than biology, and doesn’t believe in man-made global warming, should be enough to cost the Republicans the election.”
* Former DNC Chairman Don Fowler was overheard joking the other day that Gustav’s expected landfall on the same day as the opening of the Republican Convention suggested God was on the Democrats’ side. Yesterday, he apologized.