FRIDAY’S MINI-REPORT…. Today’s edition of quick hits:
* Our best wishes go out to those along the Texas coast this evening. Be safe.
* A car bomb in a crowded commercial district north of Baghdad killed at least 32 people today.
* More discouraging economic news — the price index for finished goods and consumer spending are headed in the wrong direction.
* Harry Reid said today it would be dangerous to elect a president “with a temperament prone to recklessness.” He’s right.
* McCain’s embarrassing admission last night that he finds it “easy” to be “divorced from the everyday challenges people have” did not go unnoticed by Barack Obama.
* The scandal surrounding Cindy McCain’s drug abuse is an even more sordid tale than previously believed.
* Even Orrin Hatch thinks the “lipstick on a pig” flap is absurd, calling the McCain/media creation “ridiculous,” and defending Obama.
* Planned Parenthood released what may be my favorite negative ad of the season. Why wouldn’t John McCain want to protect kids from sexual predators?
* Brave New PAC tackles the subject of the hour: McCain’s breathtaking dishonesty.
* Sarah Palin insisted last night that “many vice presidents” had never met a foreign head of state before taking office. At least as it applies to every VP of the last 32 years, Palin’s wrong.
* And why is the “Rachel Maddow Show” important? Because there isn’t another show in prime-time that told viewers about McCain spending his 70th birthday partying on an Italian con man’s yacht off the shore of Montenegro.
Anything to add? Consider this an open thread.