So after fiery perorations from Lily Ledbetter and Deval Patrick, we’re at Super Prime Time.
10:08 PM EDT JULIAN CASTRO SPEECH
* Twin introducing twin a new one for sure.
* Castro’s aspirational story a little tighter than Marco Rubio’s in Tampa, I think. He definitely captures the slow progress of immigrants better than GOP “you can go open your own business!” line.
* Good rap on government’s role in creating opportunity, and the link to prosperity.
* Wonderful joke about Romney’s flip-flopping on health care.
* “Freedom isn’t free, but neither is opportunity.”
* This is an old-fashioned keynote address: lays out convention themes, flails opponent. Very different from Christie, eh?
* “Not a sprint, or marathon, but relay.” Reminds me of Garry Wills’ brilliant argument in Nixon Agonistes that Americans always view economic life via footrace metaphors.
* A microphone rather than a mop: very good capture of minority options and aspirations.
* General impression: great speaker, speech good but not great, not the barnburner Patrick delivered. But more appropriate keynote speaker than Christie, who talked about himself in ways disconnected from actual Romney message.
To avoid confusion, I’m doing separate post on Michelle Obama speech, so stay tuned.