Suddenly off to defense spending.
* Biden does good job hitting Ryan on sequester and defense spending generally.
* Afghanistan: Ryan spends some time making sure Romney’s failure to mention troops in convention speech is offset.
* Biden links Afghanistan back to al-Qaeda, OBL. Good general rap on Afghanistan. Ryan on defensive. Switches back to general “unraveling” argument against Obama foreign policy. Now back to “no timeline” rap, and “emboldening” argument. Bad subject for Ryan.
* Raddetz dragging us all into the time machine, debating the “surge.”
* Don’t know how good it is for Biden to debate moderator, but he’s winning.
* “That’s what we call the fighting season.” Ryan showing his military chops, not that anyone has any idea what he’s talking about. Crosstalk totally losing audience.
* Now Syria. More opportunity for arguments the audience knows nothing about. But Biden’s good in initial response, and then sets up Ryan with suggestion GOPers want war.
* Ryan playing to base on UN-bashing. Why not?
* For about fourth time, Biden talks over Raddetz when she’s asking Ryan tough questions. He wisely goes silent when she challenges Ryan on criteria for deploying U.S. troops.