Lotta real life stuff to do during “lunch,” so let’s get right into the news/views appetizers:
* Big plea deal on tap wherein the holding companies of five very large banks will plead guilty to currency manipulation and pay fines. Don’t expect to see anybody on a perp walk, though.
* Santorum calls men who father children with more than one woman “predators.” Gee, and I thought he was a natalist.
* University of Nevada student says to Jebbie at town hall meeting: “Your brother created ISIS.” But that would be about the past….
* At the Prospect, Randall Kennedy has an outstanding essay on the strange treatments of the civil rights movement among conservatives and in popular culture.
* At the Atlantic, Russell Berman explains the bulk-data-collection practices banned in the bill that just passed the House–but may not survive the Senate.
And in non-political news:
* Carl’s Jr. unveils a new 1030 calorie burger.
As we break for lunch, here’s a relatively obscure Talking Heads song I always liked, “Animals,” performed in Germany in 1980.