It’s good to be home, albeit after a five-hour flight and two-hour car drive in the wee hours. Here are some midday treats baked up right here in California:
* Obama meeting with congressional leaders last night sounds like it was 90 minutes of Kabuki.
* Boehner quietly telling colleagues he’ll trash Hastert Rule to avoid debt default. Reaction won’t be quiet.
* Shutdown to delay September jobs report since BLS just loaded with “non-essential” employees.
* TAP’s Abby Rapoport previews Wendy Davis gubernatorial campaign.
* In other news from the Lone Star State, Amanda Marcotte reports on latest creationist scheme from state school board.
And in non-political news:
* Tropical Storm Karen gaining strength in Gulf.
As I take a brief lunch break, here’s Elmore James with “Standing At the Crossroads,” another topical blues song.